Complete Guidelines for Submissions to Tampa Review
Tampa Review is currently closed for regular submissions.
The editors are considering new work by invitation only.
manuscripts may be submitted year-round.
( Click here for more information about the prizes. )
We only consider submissions made online through our Submission Manager system; we no longer consider manuscripts sent by mail.
There is a small processing fee ($2 for poetry; $3 for prose) for online submissions.
The following guidelines explain the details for general submission of stories, poems, creative nonfiction, and our annual prizes:
- Tampa Review is the faculty-edited literary journal of The University of Tampa. We publish two issues a year in an elegant hardcover format and also publish complementary work online throughout the year at TampaReview.org. Our editorial staff considers submissions postmarked between September 1 and December 31 each year for publication in print or online during the following year.
- For journal and online submissions, we suggest you submit 3 to 6 poems and/or one or more prose manuscripts of up to 5,000 words. Book-length poetry manuscripts are considered only through the annual Tampa Review Prize for Poetry. All work submitted should be previously unpublished. Simultaneous submissions will be considered, provided that you notify us promptly if they are accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions are accepted online through Submission Manager. Prose manuscripts should be double-spaced; poetry may be submitted single-spaced. Clearly indicate any space breaks within stories, and stanza breaks in poetry, especially when they occur at the end of a page, so that these breaks will be obvious to our editors.
- The writer’s name and address should appear on the first page of each manuscript. We also appreciate receiving a telephone number and/or e-mail address. For multiple-page submissions, subsequent pages should be numbered and should include the author’s name and short title at the top of each page.
- Fiction and nonfiction submissions should state a total word count at the top of the first page (upper right hand corner). For poetry manuscripts, a line count is useful.
- Translations must be submitted in original language as well as translated versions. Please also include a short biographical note on the translated author and a copy of the author’s permission to translate.
- A reporting time of approximately 12-16 weeks (3-4 months) can be expected. We try to report sooner if possible.
- Our payment for work accepted for the print edition of the journal is ten dollars per published page for both prose and poetry (payable upon publication), together with one free copy of the issue in which the work(s) appears, and a 40% discount on any additional copies you may wish to purchase.